The National Board for Small Scale Industries is the apex governmental body for the promotion and development of Micro and Small Enterprises (MSEs) sector in Ghana. It was established in 1985 by an Act of Parliament of the Third Republic of Ghana (Act 434 of 1981) because government views the sector as having the potential to contribute substantially to reducing the high unemployment and to the growth of the economy of Ghana.
The vision of NBSSI is to create a more entrepreneurial society by fostering the growth of micro and small enterprises.
The mission of the Board is to develop and promote the growth of micro and small scale enterprise sector by assisting the Ministry of Trade and Industry, Private Sector Development and Presidents’ Special Initiatives to formulate polices and by providing practicing and potential entrepreneurs access to business support services.
National Board for Small Scale Industries is one of the main implementing agencies under the Rural Enterprises Programme Phase II for the Business Development Services Component. Activities under this component include the establishment and operation of Business Advisory Centres (BAC) at the district level to carry out services for business development.
GOAL OF RURAL ENTERPRISES PROGRAMME (REP) PHASE III
The Goal of the Rural Enterprises Programme Phase III is to improve the livelihood and incomes of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises. The Objective is to increase the number of MSEs that generate growth, profit and employment opportunities.
The target beneficiaries of REP are women, the youth and the vulnerable. Since the inception of the programme, REP in uwada has trained about three hundred (300) clients under the following broad sectors.
- Farm based – rabbit rearing, grasscutter rearing , etc
- Agro Processing – cassava processing into gari, Alata Samina , juice processing, pomade, cosmetics etc.
- Traditional Craft – Leather works, screen printing etc
- Agro industrial – Soap making – tablet and bar , shower gel and liquid soap
- ACPID – Occupational safety, health and environmental practices etc
- Business Managerial Services- Investment Finance, Small Business Management Training, Marketing for Export etc